We’re joined once again by New York Times Bestselling author Penny Reid, but this time she’s brought along actress and voice actress Joy Nash who narrates Penny’s audiobooks. You might recognize Joy from Dietland, Twin Peaks, or the Mindy Project. We chat about what it’s like for them working together as author and narrator, Penny’s latest books (and why it’s not her fault if she makes us cry), how Joy got her start narrating audiobooks, what they fangirl over, and much more! This is part one of two episodes with Penny Reid. Be sure you don’t miss part two, which will feature Penny Reid with Cathy Yardley!
In case you missed it, Penny was previously a guest on the show! Check it out here: Ep. 70 Penny Reid and Maureen Lee Lenker on Toxic Masculinity
You can also catch the Heaving Bosoms Podcast chatting about Beard Science!
If you haven’t joined our Facebook group yet, you’re missing out on the fun! Find our Wicked Wallflowers Coven HERE! If you have a moment to leave us a rating on iTunes, we would be ever so grateful!
WAYS TO LISTEN
Some highlights from our conversation include:
- Why Penny didn’t really want to write the Winston Brother’s backstory, but she did it for her readers
- Why Beard With Me was such an emotional book to write
- What Penny’s research process looks like
- Joy’s acting experiences and how she translated that into voice acting as an audiobook narrator
- How Penny feels like Joy adds a dimension to the story that goes beyond simply reading the text
- How Penny started writing with fan fiction
- Our mutual obsession with Lore Olympus
- How Penny approaches her books as a brand, but how that was a transition after initially thinking of writing as a hobby
- The brand new Smartypants Romance universe (which we’ll discuss in more detail in part 2)
- Beard With Me by Penny Reid (Winston Brothers origin story)
- Beard Necessities (Book 7) by Penny Reid
- Truth or Beard by Penny Reid (Winston Brother’s Book 1)
- Beauty and the Mustache by Penny Reid
- Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid
- Priest by Sierra Simone
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
- 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne
You can find Penny on her website, Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook! To learn more about Joy, you can check out her website, Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter! Be sure you don’t miss Part 2 with Cathy Yardley on 12/4!
Support for today’s episode comes from NYT Bestselling author Anna Zaires who has the first in a new, super steamy contemporary series out called Wall Street Titan.