We’re joined by Avon Books editor Nicole Fischer (who is the editor of some of our favorites like Tessa Bailey, Talia Hibbert, and Vivienne Lorret). We’re also joined by Emma Brodie who is a senior editor for William Morrow. We talk about their How to Write a Romance book which Emma worked on with the Avon romance editing team. We also talk about how they got their start, what we can expect from Nicole’s authors in the near future, and why Jenny and Nicole agree that “thrust” is the best word to search a book for if you’re trying to find the steamy bits.
Want to hear an interview with another Avon editor? Check out our conversation with Tessa Woodward and Maya Rodale! We’ve also got two episodes with Nicole’s author, Eva Leigh!
Want to hear some of Nicole’s authors on one of our sister podcasts? Tessa Bailey and Talia Hibbert have both been on Heaving Bosoms!
If you haven’t joined our Facebook group yet, you’re missing out on the fun! Find our Wicked Wallflowers Coven HERE! If you have a moment to leave us a rating on iTunes, we would be ever so grateful!
WAYS TO LISTEN
Some highlights from our conversation include:
- Where the idea came from for the How to Write a Romance guided journal
- What the fun early brainstorming session over wine was like
- Why character motivations are a fundamental base to any story
- How they got started reading romance
- Nicole’s amazing authors and books we should be excited about
- Why we love illustrated covers
- Why reading a racy cover in public is sometimes the worst
- The Fischer Law now declares that if you’re listening to an audiobook or a podcast and it’s overheard in a public place, it will be during an inappropriate moment
- Why the library is so amazing for audiobooks (and books in general!)
- Bad words and why we love them
- What Nicole is looking for in manuscripts
You can find Nicole on her Twitter or the Avon Romance website! You can find Emma on Instagram or on her website!