Ep. 53 Courtney Miller-Callihan: Literary Agent
We’re joined by literary agent extraordinaire, Courtney Miller-Callihan! She answers all of our burning questions about what it means to be a literary agent, how she became one, and why she loves it!
- iTunes: Click the button in the banner or here to download (and subscribe!) iTunes: 53 – Courtney Miller-Callihan: Literary Agent
- Stream on Simplecast: Ep. 53 Courtney Miller-Callihan: Literary Agent
- Click here for GooglePlay!
- It’s also available on Stitcher, Spotify, or most other podcast apps!
You can find out more about Courtney (or query her!) on her website or follow her on Instagram or Twitter!
Highlights from our conversation include:
- How she got her start in the publishing industry
- How and why she founded Handspun Literary
- Why agenting is the most telecommutable job in the world
- What an agent actually does!
- What made her want to be an agent of all the jobs in publishing she could have chosen
- How the books she represents are hugely representative of her personality
- Why she hates the term “gatekeeper” for agents–she prefers curator, which makes total sense!
- How a new agent builds relationships and why those relationships matter
- How she can get a read on editors based on what TV shows they watch
- Some of the issues that the publishing industry is grappling with and what could help with them
- Why she’s hybrid publishing friendly and how she handles clients who want to self publish
- How she decides which clients to sign
- A few agent horror stories
- Job hazards of being an agent
One and Only by Jenny Holiday