We’re joined by Sierra Simone who discusses mixing Catholicism with kink, her transition from YA to erotic fiction, and her well earned title of Erotic Theologian. We’re kind of obsessed with her sexy writer brain and how she articulates her thoughts so beautifully.
If you haven’t joined our new Facebook group yet, you’re missing out on the fun! Find it HERE! If you have a moment to leave us a rating on iTunes, we would be ever so grateful!
WAYS TO LISTEN
Some highlights from our conversation include:
- Scent detecting heroes and JenReadsRomance
- How Sierra is a reluctant heretic.
- The layers of trust between author and readers.
- Her deep insights on why we choose to create fiction or bring fiction to our lives.
- Why she starts with setting, then characters, then plot comes last.
- How writing Priest came from a desire to write about sex and faith.
- What she’s working on next!
- Squirting. Yes, that kind.
- All about her New Camelot Trilogy–how it came about, how she approached writing the complex timeline, and some of the struggles she had in writing it.
- Why Ash is such a controversial character.
- What it takes to build an authentic and satisfying menage.
- Why you need to be okay with people not being okay with your stories–and why she’d rather have something that doesn’t work for some readers than something forgettable.
- The challenges of writing such intense books from home and how she tries to delineate spaces.
- The joys of jazzercise.
- How she transitioned from a traditionally published YA trilogy to Indie erotic fiction.
- Her feelings on traditional vs indie publishing.
- Why she thinks Priest caught on so dramatically.
- Priest by Sierra Simone
- Sinner by Sierra Simone
- American Queen by Sierra Simone (Book 1 of the New Camelot Series)
- Misadventures With a Professor by Sierra Simone
- Misadventures With a Curvy Girl by Sierra Simone
- Strange Grace by Tessa Gratton
- Heaving Bosoms: Jenny guest cohosted an episode with Melody during her maternity leave in which they wax poetic about Priest! The episode is a blow by blow of Priest (so definite spoilers) that explores how much and why we love it!
- Fated Mates: Jenny and Sarah will both be on this fucking excellent podcast, but Sierra Fucking Simone will also be on–and rumor has it she’ll be talking about the older heroine/younger hero trope–so go subscribe so you don’t miss those!
The cover designer we mention is Hang Le!