We’re joined this week by author Emma Barry who chats with us about the latest book in her historical astronauts series, Free Fall as well as the fan favorite from that series, Earth Bound. We discuss how she went from never having read a romance novel to writing and teaching about them in less than seven years and we have fun assigning Hogwarts houses to her characters! Thanks to everyone who has heeded our call from the Anniversary Episode and left us a review on iTunes (or wherever you listen!)—we appreciate it more than you know! Make sure you remember to shoot us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to claim your reward(s)! If you haven’t done it yet, offer still stands!
- A signed copy of Jenny’s book!
- A custom limerick written about you by Sarah!
- Name a character in Jenny’s column!
WAYS TO LISTEN
Some highlights from our conversation include:
- How Emma started reading romance after her twins were born
- She thought she would only read one romance and picked the first one on the All About Romance List
- How her astronauts series came about
- Why the 60’s space race makes for such a compelling setting
- Why punishing kisses are terrible
- How not wanting to write her dissertation helped her to write romance instead
- How the idea for Free Fall came about
- Our complicated feelings about the surprise pregnancy trope
- How Earth Bound came about
- What Hogwarts houses her characters would be in and our thoughts on different pairings
- What it’s like writing novels set in a political world when real life politics are madness
- Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase
- Lord Perfect by Loretta Chase
- Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase
- Free Fall by Emma Barry and Genevieve Turner
- Earth Bound by Emma Barry and Genevieve Turner
- Star Dust by Emma Barry and Genevieve Turner
- Whitney, My Love by Judith McNaught