We’re joined this week by award winning romance author Priscilla Oliveras to chat about how she got her start in romance, her experiences as an RWA board member (and some of the challenges the organization faces), and how her characters become like family to her. We also talk all about her Matched to Perfection series, the latest of which is Their Perfect Melody–featuring a victim’s advocate heroine and a hero who’s a Spanish guitar playing Chicago PD officer.
Thanks to everyone who has heeded our call from the Anniversary Episode and left us a review on iTunes (or wherever you listen!)—we appreciate it more than you know! Make sure you remember to shoot us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to claim your reward(s)! If you haven’t done it yet, offer still stands!
- A signed copy of Jenny’s book!
- A custom limerick written about you by Sarah!
- Name a character in Jenny’s column!
We’re also thrilled with our new Facebook group and loving being able to connect more with listeners, so if you haven’t joined yet, come be part of our Facebook club!
Our first newletter will go out in December, so if you want to get it and haven’t signed up yet, you can do that HERE!
- iTunes: Click the button in the banner or here to download (and subscribe!) iTunes: 56 – Pris Oliveras: Their Perfect Melody
- Stream on Simplecast: Ep. 55 Gail Carriger: The Omega Objection
- Click here for GooglePlay!
- It’s also available on Stitcher, Spotify, or most other podcast apps!
Some highlights from our conversation include:
- How she got her first exposure to romance and how her career began
- How writing gave her a piece of her identity that gave her something important outside of motherhood
- How her daughters are now old enough that they come to support her the same way she has supported them their whole lives–and how wonderful that is!
- Some of the challenges that the RWA board is facing right now, particularly when it comes to representation and the RITA awards
- How RWA is trying to become a more inclusive space
- Where she gets inspiration for her characters
- How her brand is “contemporary romance with a Latinx flavor”
- How she had to learn to write what was in her heart, which included writing the world that she knows and wasn’t seeing depicted
- 4 Chicas Chat Facebook group
- All about her Matched to Perfection series–where the characters came from and what each book is about
- What it’s like starting a new series as an author when your readers have embraced the one you’ve just finished
- Where she draws inspiration for the Latinx elements of her stories
- Fiction From the Heart Facebook Group
Their Perfect Melody by Priscilla Oliveras
His Perfect Partner by Priscilla Oliveras
Her Perfect Affair by Priscilla Oliveras
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen