We’re joined this week by Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter, bestselling authors of some of our favorite books–and real life besties! We talk about their upcoming projects, their tortured heroes, kickass heroines, and their epic friendship. You’ll find out about who wants to wear the other one’s skin, the literal shrines they have to each other, and why this game of Fuck/Marry/Kill has a shockingly high body count!
- iTunes: Click the button in the banner or here to download (and subscribe!) iTunes: 52 – Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter
- Stream on Simplecast: Ep. 52 Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter
- Click here for GooglePlay!
- It’s also available on Stitcher, Spotify, or most other podcast apps!
To find out more about Gena, you can check out her website or follow her on Facebook, Instagram. Or you can find Kresley on her website or follow her on Facebook or Instagram! Sign up for their newsletters!
Highlights and favorite quotes from the episode:
- “Gena knows how to kill people REAL BAD!” -GS
- All about Gena’s Gods of War series–spoiler alert, it contains lots of Alpha heroes!
- How Gena is the heroine of all her books
- Why Gena’s friends don’t piss her off
- Why Gena’s new YA series called The Forest of Good and Evil is the hardest to write that she’s ever experienced
- “I just want one fucking book to flow out of me!” -KC
- “Let me inspire and excite you!” -GS
- “It’s like going to war and battling for every word.” -KC
- How the pressures of audience expectations impacts their writing and how they work past it
- “When you’re writing, it’s like sanding wood and you can feel the grains that still need to be sanded.” -KC
- How often there’s synchronisity between their separate projects
- How their epic friendship began (“Can I lick your face?” “When is she going to lick my face?”)
- “We are not a tasteful show!” -SH
- Why writer jealousy is bullshit
- “By God, you better fucking like your own product…or don’t sell it!” -KC
- What it’s like writing a storyline that you know will disappoint fans
- Kresley’s inspiration for the Arcana Chronicles and how she developed it
- Their hilariously differing responses to killing characters
- Gena and Kresley’s preferences when it comes to Kresley’s Gamemaker Trilogy
- What’s coming next in the Immortal’s After Dark series!
- “Twist our arm!”
- The Gena shrine
- “Can my game be Kill/Kill/Kill!?” -GS
- “So it’s like a praying mantis situation?” -GS
- “I want to incentivize them for good sex. Bring it or die!” -KC
- “We emerge as the only survivors…with some very fond memories!”
- That time they had too much to drink and got lost in Manhattan and ended up in a horse drawn carriage–with Cherry Adair.
- “You’re my pilot fish ghost!?” -KC
- “Don’t fuck it up, Cole.” -JN
Books mentioned in this episode:
Wicked and the Wallflower by Sarah MacLean
Shadow and Ice by Gena Showalter
Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole
Captain of All Pleasures by Kresley Cole
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
Poison Princess by Kresley Cole
Warrior’s Woman by Johanna Lindsey
Darkest Warrior by Gena Showalter
The Master by Kresley Cole
The Player by Kresley Cole
The Professional by Kresley Cole
Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Dating by Christina Lauren