Our guest this week is New York Times bestselling author, Tessa Dare, who writes fabulously witty and charming historical romances. We talk about her latest book, The Governess Game, historical lady scientists, and the mating practices of both lobsters and ducks!
- iTunes: Click the button in the banner or here to download (and subscribe!) iTunes: 43 – Tessa Dare: The Governess Game
- Stream on Simplecast:Ep. 43 Tessa Dare: The Governess Game
- Click here for GooglePlay!
- It’s also available on Stitcher, Spotify, or most other podcast apps!
Highlights from our conversation include:
- How we accidentally had Tessa play photographer for us without knowing it was her.
- What it’s like to be readers’ “break in case of emergency author”
- How authors who claim not to read reviews are lying.
- Her marvelous new book, The Governess Game!
- Awesome historical lady scientists.
- Historical accuracy in historical romance and the concept of “historical rom coms”
- How history is written by the Victors not the Victorias!
- Her next book, The Wallflower Wager.
- The backstory on her Girl Meets Duke series covers.
- Her worst typo ever.
- The specifics of lobster sex and why she felt it was the perfect fit for a romance.
- Duck sex. More about duck sex and genitalia than you ever wanted to know.
Our favorite out of context quotes:
“I don’t know how to write a face eater!”
“Historical lube–how did we get here?”
“I want to tell a duck story that’s not about rape.”
Books mentioned in this episode:
The Governess Game by Tessa Dare
Books by Brenna Aubrey (Tessa Dare’s office mate)
When a Scot Ties the Knot by Tessa Dare
A Week to be Wicked by Tessa Dare
A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare
Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ward