Our guest this week is USA Today bestselling romance author, Avery Flynn, who chats with us about her previous career as a crime reporter, her transition from writing romantic suspense to writing romantic comedy, and her newest book, Butterface!
Highlights from our conversation include:
- How she got started reading romance.
- Her experiences as a crime reporter.
- How she embraced her sense of humor in her writing and started writing romantic comedy.
- How Butterface explores embracing women exactly as they are and how powerful that is.
- Our mutual obsession with enemies to lovers.
- The story of the cat Sarah and Jenny had in college who liked to hide in the bathroom and attack men’s genitals.
- Where her ideas come from.
- How her career as a romance novelist began.
- How she juggles motherhood with writing.
- Why we love Scrivener!
- How she deals with writer’s block.
- How she’s grown as a writer and her craft has changed.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Butterface by Avery Flynn
Books by Johanna Lindsey
Books by Jackie Collins
The Charmer by Avery Flynn
Text Me When You Get Home by Kayleen Schaefer
Scoring the Player’s Baby by Naima Simone
The Governess Game by Tessa Dare
Rock Chick by Kristin Ashley
Dangerous Kiss by Avery Flynn
In the Woods by Tana French