We’re joined in this episode by debut author, Jasmine Guillory, who is as adorable as her “sexy gem of a novel”, The Wedding Date. You can find Jasmine on Twitter or Instagram or on her website.
You can click the button above or this link to download (and subscribe!) on iTunes!
Click this link to stream:
Or click the button above to access the show on Google Play. It’s also available on Stitcher or most other podcast apps!
Some highlights from our conversation include:
- Her Dad’s reaction to reading her romance novel.
- Why she doesn’t want to write historicals despite having a history degree and loving to read them.
- What her journey to publication looked like–querying, pitching to publishers, and ultimately seeing her book on shelves.
- Why lawyers can make successful novelists.
- The modern realities of dating and how those come into play in contemporary fiction: texting, social media, and the amusing intricacies of dealing with them.
- How she chose to handle race in her book–as something that is present, but not a point of conflict between her characters.
- The future of diversity in romance.
- How food plays into her stories.
*Books mentioned in this episode:
The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory
32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter
Books by Julie James
Books by Jill Shalvis
Books by Ruby Lang
Books by Jenny Holiday
On Writing by Stephen King
Bird by Bird Anne Lamott
Story Genius by Lisa Cron
Books by Beverly Jenkins
Books by Alyssa Cole
Books by Alisha Rai
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Betsy Tacy books
*We have included Amazon links above for ease of ordering digital copies, but if you plan to read in print, please consider purchasing from The Ripped Bodice and supporting one of our favorite small businesses! There may also still be some signed copies of The Wedding Date at the store.
3 comments on Ep. 13 Jasmine Guillory: The Wedding Date
Great book! We (brunch krewe ) are reading your book! Very good